Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Moving forward on the blogging...

This blog has been an afterthought for the most part.  I have other things that have been more "urgent" or important, or I just wondered whether anyone else would even be interested in what I have to say on a regular basis.

I guess from here on out my philosophy is this:  I will blog when it moves me or when it is useful to get some thoughts or reactions down in writing.  Making it "public" rather than a private journal is useful because it forces me to be a bit more thoughtful and take ait a bit more seriously, because someone might actually read it.

But I also hope to blog from time to time because my voice does matter.  Everyone's does, and I mean that. I have seen how one person can make a difference, how an "average American" can affect the course of history.  But I also believe my voice matters because I have a unique perspective as a teacher and former diplomat and activist.  And I care about some issues that are critical to our country's future and my views tend to be pretty well-informed.  So maybe, just maybe, someone will read this and it will make them think a bit more about something important.  And that's a start.

My first order of business is to try to use this space to flesh out a vision for America in the 21st century.  A modest goal, I know.  ;-)  But I have a huge number of issues I care about and that all seem "urgent," so I need a place to think through the priorities and see if I can construct an overall vision that seems to address the big ones.  We'll see if I succeed on any level.

No comments: