Monday, January 07, 2008

Surprising myself...

I often tell my students how I have never really voted for a candidate for president. I've voted against the other candidate. This just might be the year I get to vote FOR someone.

I have been intrigued by Barack Obama since his famous speech at the Democratic convention in 2004. I read his latest book, The Audacity of Hope, and was impressed by his ability to discuss the important issues of the day, acknowledge his own bias and ideological prism as well as his opponents, and identify areas of potential compromise/agreement to move forward and find solutions.

But I have been consciously holding back from jumping onto the Obama bandwagon because I did not want to be disappointed. I wanted to see if he could convince me that he was ready. I wanted to see how he dealt with the rigors of an intense, competitive campaign.

As the Iowa caucuses approach last week, however, I found myself becoming increasingly excited and full of anticipation as Obama's numbers in the polls rose. Then, Thursday night, I was euphoric! I awoke Friday feeling a new sense of optimism and hope. Obama's victory speech Thursday night was one of the best political speeches in years. Once again, he offered the hope that he might be that rare politician who could inspire a country. I want to be inspired by my leaders. I want to feel proud about the person for whom I am casting my vote. Obama just might be that person.

I have no idea whether or not his lack of DC experience would make him less effective as president. I do know that Hillary Clinton has no more executive experience than he does and only a few more years of experience in the U.S. Senate. Being First Lady is not entirely insignificant, but it says nothing about Clinton's readiness to be president.

You never know for sure whether a candidate will prove to be a good president or a bad one. People do seem to be changed by the office. Moreover, so many presidencies have been shaped by the circumstances well as by the person sitting in the Oval Office. So I'll take intelligence, some vision, some inspiration, some charisma, and the hope for change. I'll take a candidate who seems to take health care, Medicare, Social Security, energy policy, and genocide as seriously or more seriously than his opponents. It's more than any of the other candidates can offer.

I'm looking forward to casting my vote in the NY primary and hoping to vote FOR a candidate this November...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading your assessment of the DNC, and Obama's selection of Biden as running made. Like countless others, I too have never really voted for a candidate for president, but merely voted against the less desirable candidate. I too am anxious that this just might be the year that, as you've stated, we get to vote 'for' someone as we approach the end of the first decade in the 21st Century...

http://www.cafepress.com/usa21stcentury